Have you ever stepped off a bus, train, or airplane into a town that you just know you belong in? You feel you are coming home, yet you know you have never been there before? The pace of life, the smells, the food, the people, all just seem to fit?
Welcome to Luarca. My hometown. It sits on the northern coast of Spain.
Meet the locals.
There is a woman who works at a small cafe. Her little girl sits and does her homework at the counter each day. She visits with the locals and kindly gets the Americanos their cafe con leche grande (large coffee with milk).
There are also those who have lived in Luarca most of their lives. One 94-year-old woman will give you her life story, if you have the time to listen. Each morning she says, "I'm not getting up today, there is no reason." Then she remembers her flowers. She will get up for them.
Then there is the view.
Come, sit, and stay awhile. The weather is great.
Comments
Laura, I can't wait for you to go to Spain on your honeymoon. You will love it. Seriously.
Jill, I'm flattered. It's nice to hear a former editor call my text "captivating".
Lo, you are so sweet and encouraging. If you visit Luarca, I would definitely go with you. I know almost every inch of that town and can walk through it in my sleep.
BTW, when you and Lo go to Luarca, I want to come too. :)