Would you know where this is without me telling you? If you are a descendant of Arnold and Lucinda Dickey, I bet you didn't even hesitate.
This lake has a long history in our family. My grandparents spent their honeymoon here- skinny dipping from what I hear (correction: towels were most likely used). My parents also spent their honeymoon here, no word on whether they skinny dipped or not. My aunts, uncles, and cousins can often be found picnicking, hiking, and camping here.
This beautiful lake is located about 20 miles north of Logan, Utah. If you haven't guessed by now, this lake is called:
Every Pioneer Day, Brian and I travel to Tony Grove to hike one of the beautiful trails.
To make deciding easy, we started a tradition of hiking to Naomi Peak one year and to White Pine Lake the next year. Each hike is about 4 miles each way. Leave early if you don't want to hike in the sun. Both hikes are pretty exposed. This year we hiked to White Pine Lake. Tony Grove is a pretty great place anytime of the year, but I especially love late July because it's when all the wildflowers are in bloom. Here are some we saw along the trail.
I realize I take a lot of pictures of flowers. I can't help it. They're just so darn pretty. However, I did "branch" out and snap a few photos of trees.
Now, back to flowers. There were a couple of very interesting flowers we came across. Can you guess what this one is named?
Pedicularis groenlandica or Elephant Head. Now you can see it, huh. Okay, I don't know the scientific name for this next one, but Brian named it the "hippie" flower. If you know what it is, please let me know. I'll probably still call it the "hippie" flower though.
Make sure you drink plenty of water on this long, exposed hike in the hot sun. You will be rewarded at the end with this very welcome sight...
...and the lake.
This lake has a long history in our family. My grandparents spent their honeymoon here- skinny dipping from what I hear (correction: towels were most likely used). My parents also spent their honeymoon here, no word on whether they skinny dipped or not. My aunts, uncles, and cousins can often be found picnicking, hiking, and camping here.
This beautiful lake is located about 20 miles north of Logan, Utah. If you haven't guessed by now, this lake is called:
Every Pioneer Day, Brian and I travel to Tony Grove to hike one of the beautiful trails.
![]() |
| Which one should we do? Which one? hmmm... |
I realize I take a lot of pictures of flowers. I can't help it. They're just so darn pretty. However, I did "branch" out and snap a few photos of trees.
Now, back to flowers. There were a couple of very interesting flowers we came across. Can you guess what this one is named?
Pedicularis groenlandica or Elephant Head. Now you can see it, huh. Okay, I don't know the scientific name for this next one, but Brian named it the "hippie" flower. If you know what it is, please let me know. I'll probably still call it the "hippie" flower though.
Make sure you drink plenty of water on this long, exposed hike in the hot sun. You will be rewarded at the end with this very welcome sight...
...and the lake.










Comments