There are a few "firsts" in my life I wish I could remember. The first time I used foam soap being number one on my list. That was a phenomenon I didn't see coming. In the same vein, I also wish I could remember the first time I used an automatic flush toilet, automatic hand towel dispenser, and automatic faucet. I guess being a bit germaphobic accounts for the interest in these items.
Unfortunately, these firsts have already come and gone without notice. For this reason, I have paid special attention to my current day to day activities and am always on the eye out for firsts. Thus, I have begun to see the signs of aging. I recognize the celebrities featured on AARP magazine covers. I know what AARP is. I use words like thus. I read tips for retirement. My motto is, if it's good advice for old people, it's good advice for me. I ask myself, "Did you move today?" and if not, make a point to do so. Also, my back aches. What does this have to do with firsts, you ask? Well, exactly two days ago, I was part of this conversation:
Me: I wish Valentine's Day wasn't on a work day. Now we can't run to Wal-Mart tomorrow morning and stock up on 1/2 off candy.
Brian: We could run in later.
Me: No, it will all be gone by the time we get off work. That's what happened after Halloween.
Brian: Did we buy Halloween candy?
Me: No, it was all gone.
Brian: Didn't we get Valentine candy last year?
Me: No, I think it was a work day when it was 1/2 off. I think the last time we got it 1/2 off was the year before.
Unfortunately, these firsts have already come and gone without notice. For this reason, I have paid special attention to my current day to day activities and am always on the eye out for firsts. Thus, I have begun to see the signs of aging. I recognize the celebrities featured on AARP magazine covers. I know what AARP is. I use words like thus. I read tips for retirement. My motto is, if it's good advice for old people, it's good advice for me. I ask myself, "Did you move today?" and if not, make a point to do so. Also, my back aches. What does this have to do with firsts, you ask? Well, exactly two days ago, I was part of this conversation:
Me: I wish Valentine's Day wasn't on a work day. Now we can't run to Wal-Mart tomorrow morning and stock up on 1/2 off candy.
Brian: We could run in later.
Me: No, it will all be gone by the time we get off work. That's what happened after Halloween.
Brian: Did we buy Halloween candy?
Me: No, it was all gone.
Brian: Didn't we get Valentine candy last year?
Me: No, I think it was a work day when it was 1/2 off. I think the last time we got it 1/2 off was the year before.
Brian: Well, didn't we still have some Halloween candy left last year anyway? We probably wouldn't have bought more candy, if we still had some. Maybe that was last year? I'm not sure.
-long pause, followed by laughter.-
Brian: You realize we just had our first "sound like an old couple" conversation, don't you?Finally, I was witness to a first. Can't wait to grow old with you Brian.
Comments