When was the last time you teared up in appreciation for all that someone has done for you? This past weekend, I was listening to a song by Dan Fogelberg and suddenly found myself feeling wistful, emotional, and yes, a bit weepy. I realized it was because I was thinking about my father.
I thought about all the family trips he took us on, all the track meets he came to and cheered at, all the hard work he did to support his family, but most of all, I thought about the times I could just pick up the phone and he would drop what he was doing and offer help, support, or a listening ear. I could say 'I love you' a million times and still never say it as much as he deserves.
Today, my dad turns 60. This is a milestone by anybody's standards and should not pass by without notice. However, in addition to saying "Happy Birthday" and "I love you", I also want to say "Thank You". The problem is, how do you say thank you to someone who has been one of the biggest influences in your life? How do you thank him properly for all the intangibles? I don't know that I can, but I think how I feel is best summed up by the following lyrics:
I thought about all the family trips he took us on, all the track meets he came to and cheered at, all the hard work he did to support his family, but most of all, I thought about the times I could just pick up the phone and he would drop what he was doing and offer help, support, or a listening ear. I could say 'I love you' a million times and still never say it as much as he deserves.
Today, my dad turns 60. This is a milestone by anybody's standards and should not pass by without notice. However, in addition to saying "Happy Birthday" and "I love you", I also want to say "Thank You". The problem is, how do you say thank you to someone who has been one of the biggest influences in your life? How do you thank him properly for all the intangibles? I don't know that I can, but I think how I feel is best summed up by the following lyrics:
"I thank you for the freedom
When it came my time to go
I thank you for the kindness
And the times when you got tough
And, papa, I don't think I
Said 'I love you' near enough"
-Dan Fogelberg (Leader of the Band)
Thank you dad. Thank you for not only giving me life, but for teaching me how to live.
Comments