My "New" Shirt

I follow a lot of sewing blogs, A LOT of sewing blogs. The thing I like most about sewing blogs are the tutorials. I've actually learned most of what I know about sewing from the internet.

Lately, I have wanted to try altering clothing I already have (that doesn't fit in some way), but haven't dared.  So, when I saw a tutorial on altering sleeves, I decided to just suck it up and alter a purple shirt my sister Sara gave me. The shirt was too tight around the waist and the sleeves were also a bit snug around the wrist, but I still liked it and didn't want to give it up. I figured if my sewing job was a failure, then I would just use the material for another project. Either I would get material for a new project, or a shirt that fit. A win-win in my book.

First thing I did was grab every short sleeve shirt I have from my closet. I picked some favorites and matched them up with the purple shirt to get sleeve length. Then I folded the shirt in half, picked up my rotary cutter and made the cut. Too late to go back now! Next, I cut off the decorated band at the bottom. You can get an idea of what this looked like from the finished sleeve (I used the band for the base of the sleeve). Finally, I had to make a new band for the bottom-preferably one that fit! I used the left over material from the sleeve to make a new band and sewed it onto the gathered bottom of the shirt.

If you have no idea what I am even blabbering on about, here is a close up of the alterations I made.


I just wish I had taken a "before" photo of the shirt, previous to cutting it up. Let's just say, I wasn't expecting to be successful. Here is the "after" photo.


Ta-Da! I can't believe how easy it was to do this. I have a cute "new" shirt and it fits! Now, I just have to wait for warmer weather so I can wear* it.

*updated to add photo of myself wearing the finished shirt- without warm weather. Sigh.

Comments

Melisa said…
Marsha, that shirt is so cute! You did a great job.
Eve said…
Wow! Cute, cute, cute. I wish you had a before shot too.
The Lymans said…
So cute marsha! Good job! You'll have to send me links to these sites because I need to learn to alter. Btw, you could just come and visit to wear your new shirt here. No waiting for warm weather.
David said…
Totally impressed. I need this tutorial, because all of my clothes are mysteriously too small since I got pregnant / had a baby.
David said…
P.S. That was Laura.
Sara said…
Now that it can fit me I call dibs on the shirt when you get tired of wearing it.
Rachel said…
Wow, I am seriously impressed. I too could use an alterations tutorial... and perhaps one that shows me how to actually use my sewing machine. Tee hee.
Marsha said…
Thanks everyone! You are all VERY kind to gush.

Lo and Rachel, I will definitely send you some links.

Laura, I am SO glad you clarified. I really wondered about your dad's sanity for a second there.

Sara, as soon as I don't want it anymore, it's yours.
Diana said…
Looks way good! I'm also glad Laura clarified because I was a little confused as well!
Lesa said…
I don't think Sara should get dibs on it... I am the one who gave it to her and then she gave it to you... hmmm... ;) Ok really she can have it. I love what you have done with it.
Ashley said…
Really cute job! I love refashioning knit shirts!
Anonymous said…
Oh my word, Marsha! Awesome job! And it fits you like it was made for you. You look great!
I totally have that shirt in Black! We can be twinners!