Polygamy Cave

This past Monday, Brian and I spent time at Tony Grove.


As the next day was Pioneer Day, we decided to take a leisurely hike to Polygamy Cave.  Though, this wasn't our first time to the cave, we still managed to get lost.  We wandered along what we thought was the main trail, and many, many side trails, enjoying the beautiful flowers and outdoors. 

I love hiking.  I love the smell of dirt and pine mixed in the dry, hot air, the sound of the wind as it whips past my ears, the constant buzz of insects, the chirps, squawks, and tweets of mountain birds.  There was no real hurry to come to the end our journey.





Yet, stumble across a cave we did.  I am not quite convinced that this was actually Polygamy Cave-it seemed longer and more narrow than I remembered, though it was still a large cave.


Whether this was Polygamy Cave or some other creatively named cave, it didn't really matter.  It served it's purpose, as a destination and place to explore.  We crawled to the very back of the cave and sat in the still darkness, letting drops of water fall on us and enjoying the cool air.  We didn't leave until goosebumps and hunger drove us out and back home again.

Comments

Kimberly said…
Beautiful pictures, Marsha! Sounds like my kind of day, too. We also went on a hike this week (to Cecret Lake in the Albion Basin),and as my sister and I were breathing deeply and enjoying the gorgeous wildflowers, she said, "This is my happy place." I agree 100%.
Laura said…
I love your pictures, and Tony Grove, and polygamy cave, or whatever cave it is. I can't wait to visit!
Cami said…
I have photographed that very same tree! My dad and I call it the Ansel Adams tree. Tony Grove is the best.
Marsha said…
Cami, I'm going to start calling it the Ansel Adams tree too. It is amazing and this picture does NOT do it justice. I did take one with Brian to give it scale, but he doesn't much care to be on the internet.

Laura, you should visit immediately.

Kim, I googled Lake Cecret and all I have to say is, "Wow, I want to go there!"
Wow I am so impressed with your photography skills. I remember hiking in Tony Grove when we lived on 400 N together that one summer. I need to make another trip up there.
You've got the right one. I'm not sure we did,though. I compared my pictures to these http://utahcaves.blogspot.com/2008/06/polygamy-cave.html
maybe we found an alternate entrance
The Lymans said…
Beautiful pictures! Your blog always makes me homesick. I can't wait to come back and visit all these places again!
The pictures I have of polygamy cave looked like we had to climb down into the cave. Unless it wasn't polygamy cave...
Anonymous said…
I love that you love to hike and take these gorgeous pictures!