I recently took some time off (a whole week!) and headed to Oregon and Northern California. I had never been to Oregon before and was pretty excited to be going to the coast.
Brian and I worked out a flexible itinerary for this trip. We had things that both of us really wanted to see but we also wanted to have time to relax as well. One thing that I don't think either of us wanted was to spend much time in the car, which in hindsight is pretty hard to do when you are taking a road trip that winds through a handful of states.
Still, it's hard to complain about a vacation and there were many more good moments than rough patches.
Our first stop on the itinerary was Crater Lake National Park. In the National Park video, it states over and over, how blue and clear Crater Lake is. They weren't lying.
Because we were there in early June, some of the road and nearly all of the hikes were closed due to snow. So, most of the day was spent driving from view point to view point and looking at the lake.
Luckily, part of the ridge trail was open and we were able to get out of the car for a few minutes. I did not bring my hiking shoes for naught!
If you are a hiker, I highly recommend going a bit later in the season. There were many beautiful (I assume) hikes that I wanted to do but couldn't because the trails were closed. If you aren't a hiker or are just short on time, go anytime. The lake itself is beautiful and worth the visit.
Next stop, the Oregon Coast!
Brian and I worked out a flexible itinerary for this trip. We had things that both of us really wanted to see but we also wanted to have time to relax as well. One thing that I don't think either of us wanted was to spend much time in the car, which in hindsight is pretty hard to do when you are taking a road trip that winds through a handful of states.
Still, it's hard to complain about a vacation and there were many more good moments than rough patches.
| One of the prettier roadside sights. |
Our first stop on the itinerary was Crater Lake National Park. In the National Park video, it states over and over, how blue and clear Crater Lake is. They weren't lying.
Because we were there in early June, some of the road and nearly all of the hikes were closed due to snow. So, most of the day was spent driving from view point to view point and looking at the lake.
| Fuzzy Flowers! These are actually called Western Anemones (Pasque) |
Luckily, part of the ridge trail was open and we were able to get out of the car for a few minutes. I did not bring my hiking shoes for naught!
If you are a hiker, I highly recommend going a bit later in the season. There were many beautiful (I assume) hikes that I wanted to do but couldn't because the trails were closed. If you aren't a hiker or are just short on time, go anytime. The lake itself is beautiful and worth the visit.
Next stop, the Oregon Coast!

Comments