Final Crafts of 2010

Now that Christmas has come and gone, I can finally post my latest sewing projects.

This nursing cover was made for my sister Lesa.  For the most part, I followed this tutorial.  I added a couple of extra inches to each side and also a lining for better...ahem..."coverage".  Another tutorial can be found here or try this one.


These cute winter fleece hats were made for my nieces and nephew.  You can find the tutorial and pattern here.


If you decide to make one of these, I have a few recommendations.

1.  For the hat with tassels, cut 6 pieces of 1/2 inch by 10 inches fleece (instead 6 pieces of 1/4 inch by 10 inches).  This makes the braid thicker and helps withstand the inevitable tugging.  However, it is not a big deal to re-braid the tassels.  The purple hat was made using the 1/4 inch pieces called for in the instructions.  The tassels on the pink hat were made using 1/2 inch pieces.

2.  The original pattern had a head circumference of approx. 18 inches when I made a test hat. To increase the pattern so it fit other size heads I used a photocopy machine to enlarge/shrink the pattern.  See table below.

Pattern Size:
Head circumference:
Fits*:
copy at 90% (or 95% if on older end)
Approx. 16-17 inches
0-6 months
Original (100% copy ratio)
Approx. 18 inches
7 months- 1 yr.
copy at 105%
Approx. 19 inches
2-3 years
copy at 110%
Approx. 20-21 inches
4-5 years
copy at 115%
Approx. 21-22 inches 
6-8 years
*my nephew and nieces ages were used for the "fits" column.  Your kids may have different size heads.  So, measure their head circumference at the widest part of the forehead for best results.

note: I copied the pattern at 110% for the purple and pink hats with tassels.  The Dino hat was copied at 115%.  The 115% pattern would probably fit most older kids (it fit my 22 inch head).  The pink hat without tassels was done by copying the pattern at 90% and was for a 1 month old.

3.  I do not recommend making the "mid-point" on the headband.  Just fold it in half and put a pin in to mark it.  When I sewed the 1/4 inch seam allowance on my test hat, it left a small hole in the front.

4.  Lastly, I would sew 2 of the triangle looking pieces (top of hat) together, then sew the other 2, and then put those halves together and sew one side.  This helped line up the seams at the top of the hat easier than adding each triangle as suggested in the original instructions.


Don't she look adorable in her hat?

Comments

Lesa said…
Marsha the nursing apron works great. I've already used it a few times. Thanks again for making it for me, I LOVE IT!
Laura said…
Wow, I am SERIOUSLY impressed - you've got mad skills! I'm impressed not only with your sewing skills, but I'm really, very pleased with your photocopy idea and the table for increasing hat size - so very clever. Well done! I love all of these crafts.
Rachel said…
Just one thought: Why have you not opened your own Etsy shop yet??
SheilaO said…
Yep I agree, you need to go into the selling biz. Cute stuff!
Emily said…
You have skills. I love the hats!
The Lymans said…
Love, love the nursing cover! Wish I had one with David. The hats are very cute. I agree with everyone! You are very talented!
Anonymous said…
Okay, you are amazing. And a terrific aunt!!
That nursing cover is awesome! I saw a lady at church with one once and she said she paid about $40 for it! I figure I should get into that business...