Home Ownership

When you grow up, you buy a house.  That is what grown ups do.  Being grown ups, that is just what we did.  We bought a house.  Now we own a house, but I think it would be more accurate to say, our house owns us.  Sigh.

Last year, with the heavy rains, we had a bit of flooding in our basement.  Also, due to some landscaping issues in our backyard, our house began to shift and "resettle".  Cracks started to appear, some small, some large, all not good.  To make a long story short, this had to be fixed, before our house tore itself apart.  We hired these guys to put our house on "stilts"...


...and thousands of dollars later, our house was "settled".  We could now fix the cracks and get our house back to it's previous state.  The only good thing to come out of this- new paint.  Nothing makes a house look new again, like a fresh coat of paint.  So, without further adieu...

View of our bedroom before and after painting.

Before                                        After

The color of the "accent" wall in the picture below, is a bit of contention between Brian and I.  I say it's brown, he says it's olive green.  Either way, how we lived with this ugly brown/green wall for eight years, is beyond me.

Before                                           After

Ironically, now we don't agree on the color of our whole room.  I say light yellow, he says peach.  Either way, much, much better.

And finally, my favorite before and after.

Before                                          After

Comments

Lesa said…
Bri and I like the color now! It looks much nicer. Sorry is cost so much to keep a house up. I guess I should be glad we don't own one yet...
Laura said…
Someday, I will be a grownup with a house. I will, I will.

I love the paint job, and the husband transformation.
Anonymous said…
Wow, what an undertaking; you must be so glad it's done. And the paint looks great. Those before and afters of Brian are keepers!! Ha ha!
Cami said…
Ah, yes, I yearn for the simple days of renting. But you've done a great job taking back ownership of your house. Well done.
Rachel said…
It looks lovely, my dear. And the paint is nice too. I'm so glad you got your house fixed. I'm terribly sorry about the price, yikes.

I hope to have a painting party at my house in the near future, if only I could get a certain husband to patch some certain holes and chipped corners. Sigh.