This time I took a before and after.
I bought this shirt on sale for $3 at Family Dollar. Unfortunately, they don't have rooms where you can try clothes on first. When I got home, I realized it didn't fit well. I loved the color and style, so I didn't want to return it, but the shirt was a bit long for my tastes. Also, the sleeve holes were way too big. When I lifted my arms, you got a peep show. Thanks to all the sewing blogs I follow, I knew this didn't have to be the end for my cute, pink shirt. So, I got to work and Wah-la, this is what I ended up with.
What I did:
To shorten it, I cut off about 4 inches from the bottom of the shirt and formed a band. I ended up needing to cut off about 4-5 inches from the length of the band, as well. I then reattached the band to the shirt. The sleeves were much easier. I decided to use elastic to make it more fitted. I unpicked a small opening in the original seam, then threaded the elastic through the seam (kind of like when making a hair scrunchy). Once I sewed the elastic ends to each other, I hand sewed the opening I made.
So much better. Still, I would like to buy shirts that fit in the first place. It's much easier than altering them, though not as fun.
![]() |
| Before |
I bought this shirt on sale for $3 at Family Dollar. Unfortunately, they don't have rooms where you can try clothes on first. When I got home, I realized it didn't fit well. I loved the color and style, so I didn't want to return it, but the shirt was a bit long for my tastes. Also, the sleeve holes were way too big. When I lifted my arms, you got a peep show. Thanks to all the sewing blogs I follow, I knew this didn't have to be the end for my cute, pink shirt. So, I got to work and Wah-la, this is what I ended up with.
![]() |
| After |
What I did:
To shorten it, I cut off about 4 inches from the bottom of the shirt and formed a band. I ended up needing to cut off about 4-5 inches from the length of the band, as well. I then reattached the band to the shirt. The sleeves were much easier. I decided to use elastic to make it more fitted. I unpicked a small opening in the original seam, then threaded the elastic through the seam (kind of like when making a hair scrunchy). Once I sewed the elastic ends to each other, I hand sewed the opening I made.
So much better. Still, I would like to buy shirts that fit in the first place. It's much easier than altering them, though not as fun.


Comments
But even more, I love that you're sad in the first picture, and happy in the second. Excellent before and afters!