Imagine for just a moment, that a good friend of yours came up to you today and asked you this:
"Hey, you want to go for a 3 mile walk with me today? The first half of the walk will be mostly up hill, totally exposed to the sun, and the parts that are shady will be infested with mosquitoes. The second half of the walk, we will just turn around and walk through exactly the same terrain, but downhill. So, do you want to come with me?"
Of course you would not say yes to such a request. Is this person out of their mind!? I'm in no kind of shape for this long of a walk. Even considering this walk would cause me to ask quite a few questions of my own-Would we stop for lunch? How long will it take? Should I bring water? How about sunscreen? How well do I really know this person anyway? Should I be alone with them for a long period of time? Maybe it's time to make new friends...
Now, take this same question and replace the word "walk" with "hike" and read it again. Oh, well that's different. That sounds fun. Let's go. Humans, we really are nuts sometimes.
"Hey, you want to go for a 3 mile walk with me today? The first half of the walk will be mostly up hill, totally exposed to the sun, and the parts that are shady will be infested with mosquitoes. The second half of the walk, we will just turn around and walk through exactly the same terrain, but downhill. So, do you want to come with me?"
Of course you would not say yes to such a request. Is this person out of their mind!? I'm in no kind of shape for this long of a walk. Even considering this walk would cause me to ask quite a few questions of my own-Would we stop for lunch? How long will it take? Should I bring water? How about sunscreen? How well do I really know this person anyway? Should I be alone with them for a long period of time? Maybe it's time to make new friends...
Now, take this same question and replace the word "walk" with "hike" and read it again. Oh, well that's different. That sounds fun. Let's go. Humans, we really are nuts sometimes.
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." ~John Muir


Comments
Sheila- yes and yes.