When I got married, I received a plethora of cookbooks. I was very grateful for these because the only recipe I knew, was for a cherry fruit bar that I learned to make in sixth grade. I knew I couldn't make that for dinner EVERY night, so I got to work at learning new recipes. My method of selecting a recipe has always been to pick one with the fewest and most recognizable ingredients. Using this criteria, I choose a recipe called "My Favorite Pizza Crust". I have been making this crust for almost 10 years now and feel the title accurately describes my own feelings about this crust. Since I'm not one of those people who refuses to share a good recipe, I thought I would pass it on.
Now, I have tweaked the recipe a bit over the years. For example, I learned you could substitute oil for an egg, so I thought, "Why not substitute an egg for the oil?" So, here are the tweaks I've made.
Crust Directions:
Mix 2 cups flour, sugar, and salt in bowl. Add yeast to warm water. Add water/yeast mixture and egg to bowl. Add remaining flour as needed to make a soft dough. Knead 5 minutes. Roll out on a lightly greased pizza pan. Cover and let rise.
Bake crust only, at 500 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes until puffy, but not brown. Remove from oven and add sauce. Turn oven down to 400 degrees (or off, if choosing to freeze it for later use).
Sauce directions:
Dice one clove of garlic and mix in with one 8 oz. can of tomato sauce. Spread on pizza. Sprinkle Italian seasoning on top of sauce.
Add favorite toppings. My staples are mushrooms, pineapple, onion, and green pepper.
Bake at 400 degrees for approx. 18 to 20 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Turn oven off. Add cheese and place back in oven for 5 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
Slice and enjoy!
Here is the original recipe, exactly as it is in my cookbook.
Favorite Pizza Dough by LeAnn Woodbury
2 1/2 c. whole wheat or white flour | 1 Tbsp. sugar |
1 Tbsp. dry yeast | 1/2 tsp. salt |
1 c. comfortably hot water | 2 Tbsp. oil |
Mix 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. Add water and oil; mix well. Cover bowl and let sit 10 minutes. Add remaining flour as needed to make a soft dough. Knead 5 minutes. Roll out on a lightly greased pizza pan. Tip: Bake crust only at 500 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes until puffy but not brown. Cool and cover; freeze if desired.
Now, I have tweaked the recipe a bit over the years. For example, I learned you could substitute oil for an egg, so I thought, "Why not substitute an egg for the oil?" So, here are the tweaks I've made.
Crust Directions:
Mix 2 cups flour, sugar, and salt in bowl. Add yeast to warm water. Add water/yeast mixture and egg to bowl. Add remaining flour as needed to make a soft dough. Knead 5 minutes. Roll out on a lightly greased pizza pan. Cover and let rise.
Bake crust only, at 500 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes until puffy, but not brown. Remove from oven and add sauce. Turn oven down to 400 degrees (or off, if choosing to freeze it for later use).
Sauce directions:
Dice one clove of garlic and mix in with one 8 oz. can of tomato sauce. Spread on pizza. Sprinkle Italian seasoning on top of sauce.
Add favorite toppings. My staples are mushrooms, pineapple, onion, and green pepper.
Bake at 400 degrees for approx. 18 to 20 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Turn oven off. Add cheese and place back in oven for 5 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
Slice and enjoy!


Comments