When anticipating my vacation to Disneyland, my mind filled with snapshots of what it would be like. The Disneyland experience is so abundantly advertised as the "Happiest place on Earth!" To admit that it wasn't a barrel of fun the entire time can almost get you hung for blasphemy. This became such a joke for Brian and myself, that we talked about taking a series of snapshot vs. reality photos. Instead of unnaturally happy kids and adults getting on ride after ride, or eating an ice cream in the shape of Mickey, or kids spontaneously getting their picture taken with their favorite Disney character, we would take pictures of long lines, empty wallets, and kids waiting in more long lines for an official photo op.
However, in the same way that I can admit that Disneyland has a "not always fun" reality to it, I can also admit that there is a magic to the place that cannot be matched. Kids faces do light up when they see Mickey. The rides are exciting and worth the wait. Each building, landscape, and animated character is extremely detailed- I audibly gasped in amazement when I saw the animatronic figure of President Lincoln. So, when I finally let go of my "snapshots" and expectations of how I thought it should be, I was able to enjoy this vacation for what it really was. A great opportunity to spend time with family, have a thrill or two, and create a few snapshots of my own.
And just for memories sake...
Favorite thrill ride: Tower of Terror (California Adventure park) and Star Tours (Disneyland)
Employee uniform I would most be willing to wear: It's a Small World (love those sun hats)
Ride I had the most fun on: Jungle Cruise (Our guide had me in stitches by the time I got off.)
Favorite treat: Pineapple float at the Tiki Room (eaten as a bribe to get me into the Tiki Room.)
Favorite activity: Animation Academy. I learned to draw Minnie Mouse, Tigger, and Pluto (I was pretty surprised they didn't ask me to stay after class and hire me on the spot.)
Best 3D experience: NOT Captain EO! Definitely, Toy Story Mania. (Worth the 40 minute wait. Every. Time.)
Longest line waited in: Space Mountain (70 minutes!)
Rides that broke down before or while on them: Tower of Terror, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin.
Park I thought I would have more fun, but didn't: SeaWorld
Park I thought would be boring, but wasn't: Universal Studios
Park I would most want to be stuck in: Disneyland/California Adventure
Thanks Susan and Martin for a magical trip!
However, in the same way that I can admit that Disneyland has a "not always fun" reality to it, I can also admit that there is a magic to the place that cannot be matched. Kids faces do light up when they see Mickey. The rides are exciting and worth the wait. Each building, landscape, and animated character is extremely detailed- I audibly gasped in amazement when I saw the animatronic figure of President Lincoln. So, when I finally let go of my "snapshots" and expectations of how I thought it should be, I was able to enjoy this vacation for what it really was. A great opportunity to spend time with family, have a thrill or two, and create a few snapshots of my own.
And just for memories sake... Favorite thrill ride: Tower of Terror (California Adventure park) and Star Tours (Disneyland)
Employee uniform I would most be willing to wear: It's a Small World (love those sun hats)
Ride I had the most fun on: Jungle Cruise (Our guide had me in stitches by the time I got off.)
Favorite treat: Pineapple float at the Tiki Room (eaten as a bribe to get me into the Tiki Room.)
Favorite activity: Animation Academy. I learned to draw Minnie Mouse, Tigger, and Pluto (I was pretty surprised they didn't ask me to stay after class and hire me on the spot.)
Best 3D experience: NOT Captain EO! Definitely, Toy Story Mania. (Worth the 40 minute wait. Every. Time.)
Longest line waited in: Space Mountain (70 minutes!)
Rides that broke down before or while on them: Tower of Terror, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin.
Park I thought I would have more fun, but didn't: SeaWorld
Park I thought would be boring, but wasn't: Universal Studios
Park I would most want to be stuck in: Disneyland/California Adventure
Thanks Susan and Martin for a magical trip!
Comments
Glad you had a great time. :)
We eventually got to ride all the ones that broke down. The only ride officially closed was "Pirates of the Caribbean". I have been twice (20 yrs. apart) and it was closed last time as well. So, I didn't know what I was missing.
Laura,
Yes, with a lot of conditions. How's that for a sterling recommendation? I'll e-mail them to you because I really do have a lot of them.
70 minutes for Space Mountain? I hope it was worth it. (For me, it always is.) Also, I wasn't that thrilled with SeaWorld either.
I thought your post cards post was hilarious, but I love this one with the photos...and the reality they illustrate.