The Natural History Museum of Utah (in Salt Lake City) opened in November of last year. On a whim, I (and Brian) decided to check it out. I didn't take many photos, but there were a few exhibits that really caught my eye.
The picture below, is one of the best examples of an evolutionary cladogram I have ever seen. Usually, you see these only as pictures, but I love the way they used actual skulls.
The best part of this museum (for me anyway) was this little guy.
Meet "Marshosaurus bicentesimus" (the one doing the killing, not the dying). I was delighted to find a dinosaur named after me (and some guy named Othniel Marsh). Finally.
There are also plenty of other eye catching exhibits. This is not a dinosaur museum, but is a museum dedicated to life, animals, and people of Utah. There are also many hands on activities for kids. You can jump at the earthquake center to see how you measure on the Richter scale, make it rain over the Great Salt Lake, create sand dunes with wind, watch ants make tunnels, touch fossils, and so much more.
The museum is 5 levels and Brian and I spent three great hours here, but we really take our time. It's also serves as a trailhead to the Bonneville Shoreline, so you could always go hiking for a bit before or after you hit the museum. If you live in Utah, I would recommend going at least once.
The picture below, is one of the best examples of an evolutionary cladogram I have ever seen. Usually, you see these only as pictures, but I love the way they used actual skulls.
The best part of this museum (for me anyway) was this little guy.
Meet "Marshosaurus bicentesimus" (the one doing the killing, not the dying). I was delighted to find a dinosaur named after me (and some guy named Othniel Marsh). Finally.
There are also plenty of other eye catching exhibits. This is not a dinosaur museum, but is a museum dedicated to life, animals, and people of Utah. There are also many hands on activities for kids. You can jump at the earthquake center to see how you measure on the Richter scale, make it rain over the Great Salt Lake, create sand dunes with wind, watch ants make tunnels, touch fossils, and so much more.
The museum is 5 levels and Brian and I spent three great hours here, but we really take our time. It's also serves as a trailhead to the Bonneville Shoreline, so you could always go hiking for a bit before or after you hit the museum. If you live in Utah, I would recommend going at least once.



Comments