Once while pondering the signs of aging, Brian made the observation, "You know you are getting older when no one wants to know about your life experiences."
So, in honor of turning 35, here are thirty-five experiences nobody but me cares about anymore.
So, in honor of turning 35, here are thirty-five experiences nobody but me cares about anymore.
- When I was in the 4th grade, I broke my right arm playing soccer at recess.
- The best job I ever had, was as a camp counselor for Camp Max Strauss in Glendale, California.
- I once memorized 25 scriptures for a Granny B sugar cookie.
- In elementary school, my friend Meredith Winn taught me the alphabet in sign language. I never forgot it.
- I lived and worked in Logan (UT), Jackson (WY), Denver (CO), Glendale (CA), Otjituuo (Namibia), and Salt Lake City (UT).
- I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Psychology in 2001.
- I am afraid of heights, but more afraid of being a wuss, so I've hiked Angels Landing and also stood on the edge of the Grand Canyon.
- When my brother Josh was little, he told me I could have his candy if I cried. I did. It was delicious.
- I served as a Peace Corps volunteer in Namibia.
- While in Namibia, I ate a mopane worm. It was crunchy.
- The longest hike I ever did in one day, was to Lake Solitude in Grand Teton National Park. A fourteen miler!
- I was president of a church sorority chapter in college.
- I have visited four countries. Canada, Namibia, Italy, and Spain. Spain is hands-down my favorite place and I still dream of living in Spain.
- My friend Lolinda and I became bffs when our best friends left on missions. We are still bffs.
- I really got to know my grandma Dickey the year my parents left on their mission. I miss her all the time.
- I have watched "Condor Man" and "Xanadu" more times than should be allowed.
- I worked as a dishwasher, grocery sample girl, housekeeper, busser, banquet server, factory worker, fast food supervisor, grocery bagger and cashier, retail cashier, deli worker, substitute teacher, teacher's aide-all before I was 25.
- My mom had to put in my contacts for the first year I had them.
- I couldn't take gymnastics when I broke my arm, but my sister Trisha taught me how to do a backbend.
- Growing up, my family went on two big vacations. Yellowstone and Disneyland. I loved Yellowstone best and still do.
- Brian and I visited 9 National parks during our first year of marriage.
- My Aunt Judy taught me how to play the piano.
- I have worked with each of my siblings. Jeremiah and I picked raspberries for Weeks berry farm. Trisha and I worked at EK. Angie and I worked together as housekeepers/bussers, camp counselors, and at A&W. Lesa and I were banquet servers for CopperMill. Sara and I worked at Staples together. Josh and I...okay, I haven't worked with Josh yet, but it must be in our future.
- I can count how many times I've gone skiing on one hand.
- The first time I met Brian's family, his sister, brother-in-law, and mother had dressed "crazy" to see how I would react. I didn't even notice. ;)
- Every year in elementary school, my best friend moved away. I used to joke, "If you want to move, just become friends with me!"
- I had my appendix removed when I was 8 years old.
- My first airplane ride was to San Francisco for spring break (with Lo and Gina).
- I have hiked the Wellsville's twice and slid down the snowy ravine (on my bum) both times.
- I failed the practical driver's test the first time I took it. The second time I went to take it, I hit the tester's personal vehicle. I decided I better have a bit more practice. I passed it the next time.
- I once held a high school track record for the 200 meter race.
- I have only had one speeding ticket. (I just realized that you get tickets for driving too fast, but awards for running too fast. Weird.)
- I have only kissed two men (one for practice, one for real).
- I married the "for real" man in January of 2002.
- My proudest accomplishment was becoming a Flight Attendant.
Comments
Happy birthday, dearest, peachiest cousin. I wanted to send you roses and balloons and a puppy, but it didn't happen this year. Maybe next year. Then you can have at least one option to add to your list.