For Whom The Bell Tolls

"....never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee." by John Donne

There was a memorial held this past Sunday for the old Paradise church.  It will be torn down in the next week or two, making room for a more cost efficient building.  Did you know that other than the house I grew up in, I have spent more time in this building than any other?  It certainly felt like a funeral- memories were shared, songs were song, and many, many tears were shed. 


If you waited patiently, you got a chance to ring the bell.  For anyone trying to take a peaceful, late afternoon nap, their effort was in vain.  I don't think the bell stopped ringing for at least an hour or more.

L to R: Opening to bell tower.  Bell ringers.

Below is a sample of just a few rooms and details that will be sorely missed.

Clockwise from Top: Chapel, Stairs leading to the "Dungeon, the "Dungeon", Gym, Foyer, Relief Society Room, View of Chapel from the Cry Room, Cry Room, Details of Chapel



The photo below is my favorite photo.  It was taken from a window, upstairs in the cry room.


So long old friend.  You served us well.

Comments

Lesa said…
I am going to miss this church so much. There are so many fun memories that were had here. I wish I could have stayed up there and visited it with you guys. Thanks for taking and sharing all the pictures.
Kimberly said…
It makes my heart hurt to see these wonderful old buildings torn down. I understand the economics of it all, but, still . . . the memories! I'm so glad you captured some memorable views in your beautiful pictures!
Cami said…
I'm so sorry for your loss. I always loved visiting the Paradise chapel with y'all.
The Lymans said…
Oh so sad! I shall miss the old Paradise church. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Anonymous said…
Wow, that is so sad, Marsha. I loved the pictures of the chapel with the mint green walls and the details. That must have been a momentous occasion for so many in your community.