This recipe dates back to my middle school era (Home Economics with Mrs. Eliason-sp?). It's a favorite.
Fruit Bars
1 cup butter or margarine (I use margarine)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 can pie filling- (21-ish oz. Any kind, but I use cherry)
Glaze* (optional): 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1 tsp. milk, 2 Tblsp. butter, melted, 1/8-1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
*update- I found this glaze recipe on Our Best Bites and will try this one next time (substituting vanilla for the coconut extract).
DIRECTIONS: Mix first 4 ingredients in a large bowl with a hand mixer until creamy (2nd photo). Add flour and salt to bowl. Mix with spatula until dough has a "sugar cookie texture" to it (moist but not too sticky). I always need to add more flour and I sometimes put it in the fridge for about 10-15 minutes. It makes it easier to work with. Divide dough in 1/2.
Grease/spray a 9x13 cookie sheet (or a cake pan) and press dough into the bottom of pan. If you need more dough to cover the bottom, steal it from the other 1/2. Next, dump your pie filling on top and spread evenly. With your remaining dough, cover the filling with bits (see picture below). Now you are ready to bake!
Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes (top should just be turning a light brown).
For the first time, I drizzled a glaze over the bars and really liked it. I usually just sprinkle sugar or powdered sugar on top...whichever I have around. If you choose to use a glaze, drizzle it on while the bars are warm.
Enjoy!
Fruit Bars
1 cup butter or margarine (I use margarine)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 can pie filling- (21-ish oz. Any kind, but I use cherry)
Glaze* (optional): 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1 tsp. milk, 2 Tblsp. butter, melted, 1/8-1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
*update- I found this glaze recipe on Our Best Bites and will try this one next time (substituting vanilla for the coconut extract).
DIRECTIONS: Mix first 4 ingredients in a large bowl with a hand mixer until creamy (2nd photo). Add flour and salt to bowl. Mix with spatula until dough has a "sugar cookie texture" to it (moist but not too sticky). I always need to add more flour and I sometimes put it in the fridge for about 10-15 minutes. It makes it easier to work with. Divide dough in 1/2.
Grease/spray a 9x13 cookie sheet (or a cake pan) and press dough into the bottom of pan. If you need more dough to cover the bottom, steal it from the other 1/2. Next, dump your pie filling on top and spread evenly. With your remaining dough, cover the filling with bits (see picture below). Now you are ready to bake!
Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes (top should just be turning a light brown).
For the first time, I drizzled a glaze over the bars and really liked it. I usually just sprinkle sugar or powdered sugar on top...whichever I have around. If you choose to use a glaze, drizzle it on while the bars are warm.
Enjoy!


Comments