Best Little NP in Utah

Shhh....can you keep a secret?  Capitol Reef is the best little National Park in Utah.


Doh! Apparently, I can't.  Now, I realize there are 4 other beautiful National Parks in Utah, but I may just love this one the most.  My reasons for loving it are thus.

First, I do not like hiking with crowds.  It makes me feel like a lemming.  Even on a busy Labor Day weekend, I only had to hike about 1/2 a mile before the crowd thinned out and sometimes even disappeared.


Second. I love geology.  Capitol Reef has it all.  There are plunging, river-carved canyons,

Goosenecks: .1 miles one-way (EASY)

Sunset Point: .3 miles one-way (EASY)

 natural arches and bridges,

Hickman Bridge: 1.0 miles one-way (MODERATE)

obvious and colorful rock layers,


massive domes,


spires,

Cohab Canyon: 1.75 miles one-way (MODERATE)

Quirky formations, and even a few petroglyphs (which I know isn't geology, but it's on the rocks, so it gets a mention here).


Speaking of quirky, how about this lizard shaped branch that Brian noticed?


Lastly, I'm a sucker for the scenery.

Picnic Area

East Overlook on Cohab Canyon Trail

Chimney Rock: 3.5 miles loop (STRENUOUS)

Oh, and did I mention admission is FREE?  Bonus.

Comments

Kimberly said…
I've never been to Capital Reef. I will have to try it out!
Anonymous said…
Wow, that stick really does look like a lizard! We need to check out this area sometime. Great pictures.
Kristal said…
Awesome! We need to go!!!!!! Maybe we can all meet up there sometime:)