"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." -John Lennon
I had five whole days set aside for vacation and I had a plan.
Plan A was Rocky Mountain National Park. So I check the National Park website. Road Construction. Lots of road construction. Yuck, maybe next year.
Plan B was Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone. So I check the National Park website. Cold, rainy, cold. Double yuck, maybe July.
Plan C. I didn't have a plan C. Luckily Brian did. Plan C was Great Basin National Park. So I checked the National Park website. Road construction- none. Weather- pleasantly warm. Plan C it is.
Great Basin NP is one of the least visited of our national parks. I think the main reason for this is that it isn't the kind of park you can see from the seat of your car. You have to set out on foot to really experience it. However, take those steps and you'll be rewarded with views like this:
| Alpine Loop Trail |
![]() |
| Teresa Lake |
| Stella Lake |
Great Basin is known for it's Bristlecone pines. These are amazingly old trees. We saw one that was dated at 3200 years old and still living!
Sometimes I wish trees could talk.
I think the thing I loved most about Great Basin were the flowers. They grew in all the nooks and crannies. They are like naughty kids who just keep getting into places they aren't supposed to be.
The "wildlife".
So even though it wasn't the original plan, Plan C was awesome.



Comments