Road Trip

"You know more of a road by having traveled it than by all the conjectures and descriptions in the world." -William Hazlitt

And what a road it is!  Brian and I took some time off in early May and headed to southern Utah.  Our first stop was Arches National Park in Moab.  We only had an afternoon to explore this park.  So we hiked Delicate Arch (of course), Double Arch, and The Windows.


Our next stop was to Hovenweep National Monument.  This was our main reason for the road trip but the weather was too stormy to stay long.  There is a 2 mile loop hike near the visitors center with quite a few structures along it.


The structures were built along the edges of this canyon rim.  Although there is quite a bit of speculation on what they were used for, no one really knows for sure.


Our final destination was Natural Bridges National Monument.  I highly recommend a visit to this park.  The park has three natural bridges.  The thing I liked most about this park is how flexible it is.  You can view the bridges from overlook, or you can hike down to each bridge and back, OR you can hike them in a loop.  I enjoy having options.


I loved the elephant skin texture on this tree.


One last thing.  If you ever have a chance to take Highway 95 (preferably in the evening or early morning light) from Blanding to Hanksville, you should do it.  It's some of the best scenery I've seen in Utah.  I'm not even going to post any photos of it because it's just something you should see in person.

This scenery was along I-70.  It's also pretty spectacular.

Comments

Kimberly said…
Wow! I need to take this trip!