A Returning

I find it hard to visit Teton National Park with people who haven't worked or lived there because for me, a trip to the Tetons is not a "going to", as in, "I'm going to the Tetons." but a "returning to".

Dornan's in Moose, WY.  Worked here my first summer.

I am returning to a place full of memories, both mundane- "This is where I would buy my deodorant." and wonderful- "This is where I woke up to a herd of bison, just outside my tent."  It's the place where I lived away from my parents for the first time.  The place where I experienced all the excitement and intimidating responsibilities that comes with being independent.

I am returning to the place where I spent countless hours hiking with friends.  Their ghosts are everywhere I look.  I see us laughing, talking, and trying not to run into bears (even while secretly hoping to see one).




Cascade Canyon Trail


In this place, I woke up to views like this one.


I worked here, I lived here, and I played here.  I love this place.  It's hard to share that with others.  It's frustrating and I find that I don't enjoy being there.

What I realized this visit was that I need to do things differently.  It's not fair to others to hear how "this has changed" and how "that has changed" and expect them to be as excited, outraged, or surprised as I am.  I'll be honest.  I'm keeping my memories but next time I visit, I'll be "going to" the Tetons. 

Comments