Fall Hike

"...Autumn's fire burns slowly along the woods and day by day the dead leaves fall and melt." -William Allingham

My favorite fall hike is a loop hike up Card Canyon.  I like it because we rarely run into anyone on this trail (I really debated even sharing its location but hey, I don't own the canyon) and because the fall leaves are spectacular.  However, this year I waited too long and missed the changing of the leaves.  It's still a hike worth doing though.



Just be prepared to do quite a bit of hiking before you even get to the trail head.  You'll know you are close to the trail head when you reach the archery range (~1 mile from locked gate).


I recommend taking the East portion of the loop first because it's easier to find your way back to the West portion than vice versa.

The first time Brian and I hiked the trail we stumbled upon it.  We were just out for a walk to the archery range, saw the trail head and started up (we had no food or water with us and were not prepared AT ALL).   The whole way up we would say, "Let's go a little further."  


Pretty soon we were at the top of the mountain and on a dirt road frequently used by hunters.  A few passing by on their ATVs stopped to ask us how we got up there.  "We walked!" was our reply.

 
It's been a few years since that first hike.  We come a bit more prepared, bringing not just food and water, but also a camera. 

 

Comments